Peynirli Gozleme – Cheese Gozleme
- 5 and 1/4 cups or 600 grams of all purpose flour
- 1/3 of a cup or 65 grams of butter
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of salt or 15 grams
- 2 teaspoons or 5 and 1/2 grams of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon or 4 grams of sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups or 300 grams of water
- 2 cups or 500 grams of feta or white cheese
- 2 bunches or 120 grams of parsley
- 1/2 cup or 100 grams of oil
Sift flour in a large bowl, reserving one cup of flour.
Sprinkle with salt and mix. Make a hole in the centre. Combine yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add 1/4 of a cup of warm water, stir. Pour into hole in the centre of the flour.
Cover yeast with some flour. Let stand for 10 minutes to rise.
Stir in remaining water, blending thoroughly. Knead for 5 minutes to form a medium soft dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hr. or until double in bulk.
Crush white cheese with a fork. Add finely chopped parsley, mix well. Divide into ten portions. Set aside.
Place dough on lightly floured board. Divide into lo portions with floured hands.
Shape into balls; roll each ball out with rolling pin into a circle 5 mm thick. Brush with oil. Fold opposite edges over, bringing edges together in centre.
Spread cheese filling over half of pastry. Turn cheese spread sides slightly over filling. Then fold other half over filling shaping into an oblong. Seal edges well, pressing slightly.
Heat gridde or a cast iron skillet. Grease with butter and place gozleme on griddle. Brown on both sides. Serve hot. Ayran is almost always served with gozleme.