Shrimp Pilaf – Karidesli Pilav
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cooked peeled shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, raw (12oz)
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salad greens, to serve with
- 2 teaspoons dried mint or dried basil
Heat the oil in a large nonstick fry pan.
Fry the onion, peppers and garlic over low heat for 10 minutes until softened but not browned.
Add the rice, spices and mint or basil.
Stir over the heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then add enough water to cover the rice.
Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until rice is just tender, but still has a little bite to it.
Add the shrimp, currants and a little salt and pepper to taste.
Cook for about 4 minutes more, until the shrimp are heated through, then add the lemon juice and chopped parsley.
Serve pilaf warm or cold with salad greens.