Elmali Kurabiye (Turkish Apple Turnovers)
- 375 grams of flour
- 250 grams of butter
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Half a sachet of vanilla sugar
- 4 – 5 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- a pinch of grated lemon peel
- for the filling: 3 sour apples, 4 – 5 tablespoons of sugar, 3 teaspoons of cinnamon, 20 grams of chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
Wash the apples, peel them, remove the pips and cut them into small pieces. Put the pieces of apple and the sugar in a pan and bring everything to the boil while stirring. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Let it cool off afterwards, add the cinnamon and the finely chopped nuts and stir again.
Preheat the oven to 180 ºC. Put the flour in a bowl and make a small hole in the middle. Put the butter, the yogurt, the baking powder, the grated lemon peel, the vanilla sugar and the powdered sugar in the hole. Mix and knead everything until you have homogenous dough. Divide the dough into portions the size of an egg. Press the dough portions flat until they are oval shaped. Put a little of the apple mix on top of every piece of dough and close them by folding. Place them on a baking sheet in the oven.
Bake the apple turnovers for approximately 30 minutes.