Bugu Kebabi – Steamed Kebap
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 8 tablespoons of water for sprinkling
- 2 lbs (900 gr) lamb or mutton cubes
- 8 sheets of wax paper, 14×14 inches (35×35 cm) each
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 grated onion
- 3 carrots, scraped and diced
- 1 cup (100 gr) peas
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Sauté onion in butter and add meat. Cover. Cook over low heat until the meat releases its moisture and reabsorbs it. Add tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes.
Add carrots, peas and potatoes and cook until the meat is tender. Hot water can be added, if necessary.
Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
Spread one sheet of wax pepper on a surface. Put 1/8 of the meat mixture in the center. Wrap like an envelope, and make sure it is well sealed and will hold the meat mixture and its liquid.
Repeat until all the meat mixture is wrapped in the eight sheets.
Sprinkle the package with water.
Bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot in packages as a main course with salad.