- 1 1/2 lb. new potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed with salt
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 1 t. cumin seeds
- 4 T. olive oil
- 1 T. wine vinegar
- 1 t. sugar
- 2 T. black olives, stoned
- 4 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped (or 1 can stewed tomatoes)
- 1/2 t. roasted kirmizi biber (or dried chili pepper flakes)
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T. kosher salt
- 2 T. hazelnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 375F.
In a shallow pan, fry the potatoes and onions in the oil until they take on a little colour. Stir in the garlic and cumin seeds and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, olives and sugar. Add the tomatoes, oregano, parsley and kirmizi biber. Season with salt.
Spoon the mixture into a shallow oven-proof dish and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts and place in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve hot or cold with yogurt.