- 1/2 pound zucchini, trimmed, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup stone-ground whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped canned jalapeño peppers
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Place the zucchini in a colander and lightly sprinkle with salt. Let stand 20 minutes. Gently press the zucchini with your hands to remove the excess liquid.
2. Place the zucchini in a large bowl. Add the peppers, shallot, garlic, curry, olive oil, and salt to taste. Mix well. Stir in the baking powder and flour.
3. With floured hands, form the zucchini mixture into sixteen small rounds. Flatten them slightly.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini cakes and sauté until golden on the bottom, about 1 minute. Turn over and sauté 30 seconds. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook the cakes, covered, 15 minutes, turning once.
Yield Serves 4 to 6.
Total Time: 90