- 250g/9oz Plain Yoghurt
- 200g/7oz Sugar
- 175g/6oz Semolina
- 75g/3oz Plain Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 teasp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
- For the Syrup: 550g/1-1/4lb Sugar, 480ml/16fl.oz. Water
1. Preheat the oven to 180C,350F, Gas mark 4 and lightly grease a 30cm/12-inch square ovenproof dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, blend together yoghurt and sugar thoroughly.
3. Add the egg and mix well.
4. Add the semolina, flour, bicarbonate soda and cinnamon and beat until well mixed.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
6. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, make the syrup by placing the ingredients in saucepan, bring to the boil then cook for 5 minutes.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and spike all over with a skewer. Pour the hot syrup over the warm cake. Allow the cake to cool and absorb most of the syrup. Serve cold cut into squares.