- 8 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil and a little butter
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- resh chopped oregano, marjoram, mint, basil, or parsley
Put the mushrooms into a saucepan with the garlic, spices, olive oil, and butter. Cook covered over high heat for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, allowing the liquid to froth up. Once the mushrooms begin to caramelize, remove the lid and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until some of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste.
Spoon the mushrooms into a bowl and toss in a blend of fresh herbs. Serve hot or cold with lemon wedges.