- 3/4 lb ground lamb
- 2 pide bread
- 3/4 lb ground veal
- extra vrigin olive oil, melted unsalted butter, or vegetable oil for brushing
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- finely chopped fresh parlsey leaves for garnish
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces
1. In a large bowl, knead the lamb, veal, cayenne, coriander, cumin, pepper, salt, and butter together well, keeping your hands wet so the meat doesnt stick to them. Cover and let the mixture rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. Prepare the charcoal fire or preheat the gas grill on medium-low for 15 minutes. Form the meat into patties about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide. Grill until the kofte are springy to the touch, about 20 minutes, turning often.
3. Meanwhile, brush the pide bread with olive oil,melted butter, or vegetable oil, and grill or griddle for a few minutes until hot but not brittle.
4. Arrange the kofte on a serving platter or individual plates and serve with pide bread, sliced onions, a spinkle of sumac, and chopped parsley as a garnish.