- 1 x 14 oz / 400 g bag dried pinto beans, picked over and soaked in cold water overnight and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 t sugar
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 T chopped parsley, for garnish
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 green chili peppers, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
Place soaked and drained beans in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until partially cooked; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, place olive oil, onions, garlic, peppers, diced tomatoes and carrots into a nonreactive medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until juices evaporate.
Add 4 cups hot water, beans, potatoes, salt and sugar; stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes or until beans are tender (if there is not enough liquid and beans are still not tender, add a little more hot water). Remove from heat and set aside to cool with lid on pot. (If there seems to be excess liquid, serve beans with a slotted spoon.)
Garnish with parsley.